So what is social media? By definition (Wikipedia), social media refers to the use of web-based and mobile technologies to turn communication into interactive dialogue. So how big is social media? It’s huge! To give you an idea of how huge here are some recent stats.
- There are more than 750 million active users on social networking site Facebook.
- There are more than 156 million blogs.
- There are more than 490 million YouTube videos. Social Media by Characteristics The best way to understand social media is by grouping by characteristic.
- Openness: The majority of social media venues promote leaving comments, voting, sharing information, and removing barriers making content open to everyone.
- Connectedness: Social media thrives on being connected with other people, resources, sites, blogs, etc.
- Conversation: Traditional media is one way communication whereas social media is more of a two-way conversation.
- Participation: Social media promotes everyone to contribute and provide feedback. Media and audience blur together.
- Community: Social media sees communities quickly sprout up based on common interests.
Social media makes it easy for you to target the appropriate audience. There’s little value in targeting the wrong audience. For example, if you are selling adult entertainment you wouldn’t want to target a family audience. Be patient, take the necessary time to determine which channels will best benefit your business. Join groups, like pages, and interact as much as possible.
The more you interact and engage in discussion the more your following will grow and the more your business will prosper. Your comments and discussions should offer information that’s relevant, and interesting. Posting just to post will annoy your audience, which is not what you want to do. You can start slowly so that you don’t become overwhelmed. Facebook is a good place to start followed by Twitter, and YouTube. Once you’ve created your profiles, set up your page(s), you are ready to begin to enjoy all that social media has to offer. It won’t take you long at all to put your plan into play, especially if you make use of the valuable information we’ve provided you.
Marketing is key to the success of any business. Those businesses that recognize the power of social media marketing will be miles ahead of the competition. So are you ready to take your business to new levels? Are you ready to jump start your client base? And are you ready to share with others just how you were able to become so successful because they are going to be asking. The secret is yours to keep for as long as you like.